Description: Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister plans to meet with public sector unions after suggesting current collective agreements are unsustainable.
Questions for discussion:
• What reason does Premier Pallister give for wanting to meet with the unions?
• What has been the response from the unions and the Opposition?
• Consult the Related Links above: what powers do governments have to reopen collective agreements?
• What sort of things do the courts look at when a government tries to rewrite collective agreements?
• Given what you’ve read about the Supreme Court ruling in the B.C. Teachers’ Federation case, what advice would you give Premier Pallister?