Description: The Supreme of Canada has upheld a lower court ruling that found the B.C. government bargained in bad faith with the province’s teachers and violated their Charter rights.
Source: The Vancouver Sun
• Story on the impact of the decision
• The Supreme Court of Canada decision
• Prof. Fiona McQuarrie discusses the SCC decision (Starts after 59:00)
• The B.C. Appeal Court decision
• The B.C. Supreme Court decision
• The B.C. education ministry
• The BCTF
Questions for discussion:
• What was unusual about the SCC decision?
• Briefly summarize the history of this dispute between the B.C. government and the BCTF.
• Consult the Related Links above: what did Justice Susan Griffin decide?
• What reasons did the Court of Appeal give when it overturned her decision?
• What did Justice Donald write?
• Consult your text: what is bargaining in good faith? How did the B.C. government fail on this point?