Description: The roots of Labour Day lie in Canada’s 19th century industrialization.
Source: The Saskatoon StarPhoenix
A video from the McCord Museum:
- The first Labour Day
- Canadian Museum of History
- Vancouver Province: state of the unions
- Unions prepare to fight Conservative government
Questions for discussion:
- What were Toronto printers striking for in 1872?
- How did that dispute turn out?
- What was the Trade Union Act?
- What is the state of the Canadian union movement today?
- What is your opinion of unions? Have you or a member of your family ever belonged to one?