Description: Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says the province doesn’t have the money for public sector wage and benefit increases.
Source: The Ottawa Sun
- CBC story
- Canadian Press story about Nova Scotia public sector bargaining
- Halifax Chronicle-Herald story
- The Ontario Public Service Employees Union
- Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario
- Office of the premier of Ontario
Questions for discussion:
- The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario has taken a strike vote. Consult your text: What is the significance of this move?
- Does a strike vote mean a union is likely to take job action? Discuss.
- Follow the Related Links above. What is the OPSEU’s response to Wynne’s statement?
- Whom do you think the public would support on this issue?
- If you were the leader of the OPSEU or the Teachers’ Federation, what would be your strategy dealing with the government?