Description: Air Canada and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, representing 6,800 flight attendants, have reached a tentative agreement just hours before a strike deadline.
Source: Montreal Gazette
- Company sends letter to employees outlining “facts of life”
- Union members take their dispute to Facebook
- CBC.ca readers respond to the threat of a strike
- Air Canada update from June 20
- Statement from CUPE
- Statement from Air Canada
Questions for discussion:
- What were the issues in this dispute?
- What effect do you think the “facts of life” letter had on this dispute?
- What effect do you think the letter will have on future morale at Air Canada?
- What effect do you think the Facebook page had on the dispute?
- What effect do you think the threat of back-to-work legislation had on the settlement?
- Do you think the threat of back-to-work legislation favours the company or the union in this case?