Description: Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall says his government could use the Constitution’s notwithstanding clause to pass essential services legislation.
Source: The Globe and Mail
- CBC story
- Saskatoon Star-Phoenix story
- The notwithstanding clause
- The Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- The Supreme Court decision
- Earlier update
Questions for discussion:
- Review the related links above. Why did the Supreme Court strike down the Saskatchewan law?
- What is the notwithstanding clause?
- Why is the notwithstanding clause controversial?
- How often has it been used?
- Do you feel it would be appropriate to use it in this case? Discuss.