Description: Provisions in the omnibus federal budget bill will “gut” health and safety protection for many workers, public sector unions and the Opposition claim.
Source: Postmedia News
- Health and safety section of the Canada Labour Code
- The proposed amendments (see Division 5, Canada Labour Code)
- Commentary by law firm Sack Goldblatt Mitchell LLP
- Union statement
Questions for discussion:
- Summarize the changes to health and safety provisions that the amendments would make.
- Who would be affected?
- What reasons does the government give for these changes?
- What arguments do the unions and the Opposition make?
- Which side do you think has the most persuasive arguments? Discuss.