Description: A vote by WestJet pilots against being represented by a union raises questions about current labour relations models.
Source: The Globe and Mail
Questions for discussion:
- Consult your text: What steps must a group of employees go through to form a union?
- Again, consult your text: Do airlines like WestJet fall under federal or provincial labour jurisdiction?
- Based on what what you’ve read, why do you think the pilots voted against unionization?
- What is the difference between an employee association and a union?
- Dr. Doorey cites surveys that indicate many Canadians would like a form of workplace representation that is “‘less adversarial’ than traditional collective bargaining.” Based on your work experience, is this something you would favour? Why?