Description: The Speaker of the House of Commons has ruled that a private member’s bill that would have forced unions to disclose financial information was improperly introduced.
Source: Ottawa Citizen
- Canadian Labour Reporter story
- Blog post by the law firm Heenan Blaikie
- The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada
- Earlier update
- Union economist Jim Stanford on the bill
- The Fraser Institute on the bill
Questions for discussion:
- Why did the Speaker rule the bill out of order?
- How could the bill be reintroduced?
- What would be the political implications of that?
- Why do you think the bill’s opponents attacked it on procedural grounds, rather than its content?
- From what you have read, what do you think are the pros and cons of this proposed legislation?
- Do you think it is required? Why or why not?