Description: Irene Lanzinger, the former head of the B.C. teachers union, has narrowly defeated Canadian Labour Congress official Amber Hockin to become the first female head of the B.C. Labour Federation.
Source: The Globe and Mail
- Irene Lanzinger
- Amber Hockin
- The B.C. Federation of Labour
- CBC story
- Former federation president Jim Sinclair talks about worker safety
Questions for discussion:
- In this story, Irene Lanzinger talks about trying to find “common ground” with the B.C. Liberal government. Why might this be difficult?
- What are the advantages to labour unions supporting specific political parties?
- What are the disadvantages?
- Should labour unions advocate for non-union workers?
- Why or why not?