Description: The CEO of Canada Post says the corporation’s $17-billion pension plan is badly underfunded and workers will need to help make the plan sustainable.
Source: The Globe and Mail
- Calgary Herald story
- One economist’s view
- A Q&A with CEO Deepak Chopra
- Canada Post
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers
Questions for discussion:
- Why does Canada Post say its pension plan needs fixing?
- What remedies are suggested in this article?
- How many jobs does Canada Post plan to eliminate?
- Briefly summarize economist Armine Yalnizyan’s argument. (See related links.)
- Do you think this argument makes sense? Why or why not?