Description: B.C.’s licensed practical nurses have voted to leave the Hospital Employees’ Union for the B.C. Nurses’ Union.
Source: The Vancouver Sun
Questions for discussion:
- What do licensed practical nurses do?
- What reasons does this story give for LPNs wanting to leave the HEU for the Nurses’ Union?
- What do you think will be the advantages for LPNs related to this move? The disadvantages?
- What does your textbook say about union “raiding”? Why is it controversial?
- Do you think this situation fits the definition of “raiding”?