Description: The Conservatives are suggesting they may use their majority in the Senate to block the repeal of controversial labour legislation passed by the former Harper government.
Questions for discussion:
• Summarize the provisions of Bill C-377.
• Summarize the provisions of Bill C-525.
• Why does the Trudeau government say these laws should be repealed?
• Based on what you know, do you think it would be a good idea to repeal these laws? Why or why not?
• It is rare for senators – who are appointed, rather than elected – to overturn legislation from the House of Commons. What political implications do you think such a move might have?