Description: The union representing Toronto transit workers has gone to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, arguing its members should be allowed the right to strike
Source: The Toronto Star
- CityNews story
- Union news release
- Blog post by Prof. David Doorey
- Toronto Transit Commission Labour Disputes Resolution Act
- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113
- Ontario Ministry of Labour
Questions for discussion:
- Summarize the union’s argument.
- What is the government’s response?
- Read Prof. Doorey’s blog post. How has the Supreme Court of Canada’s view on the right to strike changed over the years?
- How does the court decide whether an essential services law is constitutional?
- Do you think the Toronto Transit Commission Labour Disputes Resolution Act is unconstitutional? Explain.