Description: After a long and bitter dispute, the B.C. government and the B.C. Teachers’ Federation have reached a six-year contract with the help of mediator Vince Ready.
Source: The Vancouver Sun
- Column about mediator Vince Ready
- Profile of BCTF president Jim Iker
- B.C. Public School Employers’ Association
- Blog post by Prof. Fiona McQuarrie
- Earlier update
Questions for discussion:
- What did the BCTF give up to get this agreement?
- What did the government give up to get this agreement?
- Why does Vancouver Sun columnist Vaughn Palmer describe the settlement as a “remarkably clean ending to bitter dispute”?
- What were the key issues in this dispute?
- Palmer says: “when parties don’t trust each other, it takes time to recognize which proposals are non-starters and move into each other’s zone of settlement.” Why don’t these parties trust each other?