Description: The federal government has promised in its throne speech to cut union jobs and roll back sick leave provisions.
Source: The Ottawa Citizen
- Globe and Mail story
- Throne speech
- Public Service Labour Relations Act
- The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada
- The Public Service Alliance of Canada
- The National Joint Council
- Earlier update
Questions for discussion:
- Briefly summarize the government’s plans for the public service.
- What is the reaction of unions and the New Democratic Party Opposition?
- Based on what you have read, do you think the government is right to seek these changes?
- Why or why not?
- Do you think that what some call “public-service bashing” would be politically popular? Discuss.