Description: The United Food and Commercial Workers union has taken out full-page newspaper ads addressed to Loblaw Executive Chairman Galen Weston Jr. on the eve of possible strikes in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Text of open letter to Galen Weston Jr.
- Winnipeg Free Press story
- Global News story
- UFCW Canada
- Loblaw Companies Ltd.
Questions for discussion:
- Summarize the arguments made in the open letter.
- Why do you think the union bought these ads?
- Why do you think the union chose to personalize this dispute?
- Do you think the ads will be effective? Explain.
- Read the comments at the bottom of the CBC story. Which arguments do you find the most persuasive?