Description: The United Steelworkers union, which represents 225,000 Canadian workers, and the Telecommunications Workers Union, which represents 13,000, have tentatively agreed to merge – the second large private-sector union merger of the year.
- Union media release
- Canadian Press story
- Canadian Labour Reporter story
- The United Steelworkers
- The Telecommunications Workers Union
- Earlier update
Questions for discussion:What sort of workers does the Steelworkers union represent?
- What sort of workers does the Telecommunications Workers union represent?
- What reasons do the unions give for wanting to merge?
- What is the next step in this process?
- Why do you think the TWU is supporting Canada’s Big Three telecommunications companies on the issue of Verizon’s possible entry into this country?