Description: With organized labour on the defensive across the country, the Canadian Auto Workers and the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada are merging to create a 300,000-member union called Unifor.
Source: The Globe and Mail
Questions for discussion:
- Who is the new head of Unifor?
- What has happened to union membership in Canada in recent years?
- What benefits do the CAW and CEP expect from this merger?
- Can you think of any possible negative effects of this merger?
- If you were a member of the CAW or CEP would you support the merger? Discuss.