Description: The Ontario government has imposed contracts on elementary and secondary school teachers, freezing pay and reducing sick days.
Source: The Globe and Mail
- Video: Education Minister Laurel Broten announces government move
- Andrew Coyne opinion piece
- Thomas Walkom opinion piece
- Ontario education ministry
- The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario
- The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation
Questions for discussion:
- What are the main features of the contracts imposed by the Ontario government?
- What reason does the government give for taking this action?
- What is the teachers’ response?
- Summarize the arguments made by Andrew Coyne and Thomas Walkom.
- Which arguments do you find to be the most persuasive? Why?