Description: Canada Post is cutting mail deliveries, saying rotating strikes are costing it millions; the Canadian Union of Postal Workers counters that the company is trying to spark a full strike.
- Background story by CBC
- Canadian Press story
- Canada Post
- The Canadian Union of Postal Workers
- Earlier update
Questions for discussion:
- Union president Denis Lemelin says Canada Post is trying to impose a “partial lockout.” What does he mean?
- Do you think the term is accurate?
- Lemelin says the company is trying to provoke a general strike. Do you think a general strike, as opposed to rotating strikes, would be in Canada Post’s interest?
- Why or why not?
- The union says Canada Post wants the federal government to impose back-to-work legislation. Why do you think the employer would want back-to-work legislation?
- How do you think the union would feel about back-to-work legislation?