Description: An arbitrator has granted members of the Ontario Nurses’ Association lump-sum bonuses, despite a provincial government wage freeze policy.
Source: The Toronto Star
- Ontario Nurses’ Association
- Ontario Hospital Association
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care
- Globe and Mail story
- Toronto Sun story
- Canadian Press story
Questions for discussion:
- Review the links above. How does this settlement fit within the government wage freeze?
- How does this settlement work out to a “net zero increase?”
- If you belonged to this union, would you prefer a lump-sum award or a wage increase? Why?
- What is the role of the provincial government in collective bargaining with the nurses’ union?
- What is the role of the Ontario Hospital Association?